- The 5th Speech Contest will take place at 10:00 am at Paradise High School on Friday, June 1, 2012. Students from Grade 9 to Grade 12 can participate in this competition.
- All the schools that will take part in the contest will select two students to participate in the competition.
- After the selection, schools should send student’s application form to Paradise High School latest by May 25, 2012.
- Students must be accompanied by a teacher (supervisor). Students with no supervisors will not be allowed to participate in the competition.
- Participants must be in their school uniforms on the competition day.
- Schools are allowed to bring maximum of 5 students as audience.
- Schools must pay the 5 KINA participation fee per participant before the competition day.
- Students will give a five-minute speech on a topic that is stated in the application form. Students are not allowed to make any changes on the topic they have chosen two weeks before the competition day.
- A warning will be given when the students complete the fourth and fifth minute of their speech. After the last warning, students will have thirty (30) seconds to complete their speeches otherwise the microphone will be turned off.
- Students shall have small note cards; however, students must be informed that reading the speech is not allowed.
- Students who, directly or indirectly, insult any person, races, cultures, and religions will be disqualified.
- The participants should hand in hard and soft copies of their speech after their presentation to the coordinator of the Speech Competition. Paradise High School intends to publish the speeches in a book as a documentary and display the on the school website.
- The participants must be ready in the venue at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the competition.
FIRST PRIZE NETBOOK
SECOND PRIZE DIGITAL CAMERA
THIRD PRIZE 150 KINA
Surprise prizes and a certificate of participation will be given to all participants.
Following criteria will be used when evaluating the speech.
|Organise and develop ideas in a logical order||15 marks|
|Make effective eye contact with the audience||10 marks|
|Deliver a clear and expressive speech||20 marks|
|Apply body language techniques appropriately during the speech||15 marks|
|Maintain the audience’s interest in the speech||10 marks|
|Content of the speech and evidence of research done on the topic||20 marks|